continuing onto a third day of striving to make sim-on-a-stick easier, it’s becoming clear that a set of frequently asked questions might be good. the link to sim-on-a-stick blog posts was kind of intended for that but that collection is becoming large and is arranged chronologically and not by “importance”. some topics are way beyond n00b (and way beyond me, like networking it to become a classroom server!)
Graham and ELQ made an outstanding suggestion about the region chooser with ELQ recounting helping others step through SoaS. ELQ suggests that n00bs start off with a single region because then they can’t build across region borders and it alleviates things like terrain textures
considering the age of OpenSim and the steady flow of feature additions and fixes, many in this community are n00bs in certain areas. take me for example, the way i mostly use OpenSim is similar to Second Life. our OpenSim sits on a server and i rarely do anything with it (i copy backups a few times a week and do updates and a reboot once a month). i just log in via the viewer just like hitting Second Life
derr, my own foray into a region on OSGrid ended with a region that no one, including me, could TP to! =p
running sim-on-a-stick is a bit of a black box experience and has enough uncertainty to turn some people off from even trying it. reducing that uncertainty is just as important a goal as is trying to make SoaS run smoothly across as many Windows configurations as possible
a set of concise, and hierarchical, faqs might help lower that threshold of the unknown and get more people excited about the possibilities – w00t!
your suggestions will be key to developing a set of faqs that encourages others to discover what OpenSim can be (in that respect, SoaS can act as a gateway drug to a full-blown OpenSim experience!) =D
- what is OpenSim?
- what is sim-on-a-stick?
- what do i need to be able to use this? (hardware, patience, enthusiasm)
- does it install anything permanent on my computer or change my registry?
- do you track any information? (muahaha – Mera logs in wearing a tank top in a cold room – $29.95/month - http://perkymera.se) o_O
- what’s my first step? (download it!)
- where do i unzip this to? does it have to be a stick?
- how do i start it up?
- how do i access my virtual world? (to see if they know what a viewer is)
- what viewer should i use? (this is to stress localhost with port 9100)
- how do i log in?
- do i have to be a girl avatar? (why wouldn’t you want to be the best?!?) =p
- how do i change my name?
- how do i change the way i look? (brief mention about creating and attaching new parts to modify)
- how do i make stuff? (read this blog and the blogs in the sidebar!)
- where can i get stuff? (read online!)
- how can i get rich doing this? (i dunno, tell me when you find out)
- how do i save my stuff or move it to other places?
- how do i close or exit sim-on-a-stick?
- are you really that awesome? (why yes, yes i am) =D
if you have other entry-level topics let me know – this won’t be a guide to OpenSim, just enough to get someone to give it a shot – once they get hooked, they’ll learn quickly!