iliveisl

 

placement prim to simplify XML import

4 comments

keeping it simple (for myself), i placed a blue ball at 128 metres (x) and 128 metres (y) and then z at 25, 35, 45, etc. then i linked each maze to a ball and exported them as 25.xml, 35.xml, and so forth

importing them was a snap and placing each blue ball at 128, 128, and its height was Ener-Easy! =)

exportmazes_001

exporting and naming was easy

importmazes_001

importing was even easier and placement was a breeze, now unlink and delete the placement prim =)

Twitter Tumblr Digg Reddit Stumbleupon Delicious Facebook Plusone Pinterest Linkedin Tumblr Posterous Snailmail

written by Ener Hax

December 21st, 2012 at 11:42 am

posted in OpenSim

tagged with

4 comments to 'placement prim to simplify XML import'

subscribe to comments with RSS or trackBack to 'placement prim to simplify XML import'.

  1. That’s awesome. Ener, did you make a helicopter? You’re so my hero. I just imported your plane and I love it.

    Jamie Wright

    21 Dec 12 at 1:45 pm

  2. thanks Jamie, yes, i made that helicopter but it doesn’t fly (i can’t wait for BulletX physics, they should be good)

    you may want to scale that plane up as a whole, it’s close to actual size except the cabin is about 3 or 4 inches too low

    so what are you working on these days?

    Ener Hax

    21 Dec 12 at 5:30 pm

  3. I have been doing that with my “city” building kits. What I did was place a prim at the centre of the module (I try to integrate it as part of the module) and then based all the other parts around that. Have a look at how I constructed the Bubble City and Tube City sets (you can DL from OpenSim Creations).

    When you de-construct one of the modules you will find I sometimes had to distort the prim quite a bit some times to make sure that it would fit into the design of the module, but sometimes I just couldn’t do it and resorted to placing an invisible (or just hidden) prim as the centre point. Often, there were many designs of a module I had to scrap trying to get that centre prim working, especially when making ramps or stairs.

    However, in the end, it made the modules much easier to use. It was also worth more to me to spend the time to try and get these set-ups done properly as these are designed for use, not just by me, but by anyone who wants to use them, thus the time saved when placing these will more than out-way the time I spent getting them just right (and I still am working on them. But they say work is never finished – only abandoned :D ).

    Paul

    22 Dec 12 at 7:34 am

  4. that’s an awesome way to make your modular builds Paul! it is a huge effort to make modules that really “snap” together – despite my planning and best intentions, i ended up having to edit some things in place. now that they are, they could conceivably be used as modular parts

    like you said, it does make it far easier to use in the end. the 34,000 prims of Hax Nuit are more than half modules – i’ve spent about 45 hours on it and no way could those have been all placed one-by-one – modular approach saved the day

    i like your saying about work never being finished and i suppose that is one thing that makes all of this interesting to people like you and me =)

    Ener Hax

    22 Dec 12 at 4:18 pm

leave a reply - add your thoughts

you can use these tags: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <strike> <strong>