iliveisl

excellent look at viewers

9 comments

i don’t know much about the viewers out there and my viewer of choice is still Imprudence 1.3.1! i’ve used Zen and love it for photos plus it has sim-on-a-stick in its grid manager =)

thanks to Sarge of Excelsior Station i can easily learn about eleven viewers he did tests with this week (dang, that was a lot of fresh installs!) o_O

Misfit’s Index of Viewers

his article is worth the read and, if you are like me, you’ll walk away with a better understand of each viewer and maybe even start using one that’s a better fit for your needs!

thanks Sarge!

ps – check out Sarge’s work in Kitely!

Excelsior Station

Twitter Tumblr Digg Reddit Stumbleupon Delicious Facebook Plusone Pinterest Linkedin Tumblr Posterous Snailmail

written by Ener Hax

May 4th, 2012 at 1:11 pm

9 comments to 'excellent look at viewers'

subscribe to comments with RSS or trackBack to 'excellent look at viewers'.

1. My humble and always personal opinion!
    Stay with Imprudence as is still the best graphics one and less buggy!
    Phoenix pre mesh is a good choice if you have a high end computer.
    Firestorm runs pretty well, the degradation of image quality is a well known and ignored secret of the mesh code, and all mesh viewers suffer from it, Zen suffering the same problem adds another, lack of RLV and in the end all resumes to this!
    Pre mesh v1 viewers are still the ones that any should use as its code is full open source, all the others use the v2 or v3 code that is not!

ZZ Bottom

4 May 12 at 1:56 pm

2. thanks ZZ, i appreciate your advice – Imprudence has been very good for me and i can’t remember ever crashing with it (and sometimes i have it one for 6-10 hours)

Ener Hax

4 May 12 at 5:38 pm

3. Thanks for the post, Ener. :-)

I’m be adding new viewers as they come into existence, too, as well as new feature listings. Whitestar already pointed out OSSL functionality as something that should be added.

I’ve also refrained from commenting on my own uses on that post :-) But I will here. Imp 1.4.2 Beta for building, especially nanoprims and 99% hollows, axis on root prim. Cool VL for a project where I am building a prim replica of a mesh object, since it lets me export XMLs as the build progresses while also importing and viewing the mesh object. ( Side note on that. Its a .45 M1911 and the mesh object has 107 parts. My prim version will have fewer :-D )

If its AuroraSim that I’m in then its Imprudence for the building, Astra for the viewing. Though Singularity is now AuroraSim compatible, so I’m going to check that out a bit.

Sarge Misfit

4 May 12 at 5:49 pm

4. I love Imprudence. Was it a dream or did I read something about Imprudence not being available in the future? Hopefully I was just dreaming. I hate to think that we will be forced to use 1 viewer at some point.

Ener, go take a little break… 6 to 10 hours, really??? Wow!
    Super Ener to the rescue. Miss you :-)

Sunny

4 May 12 at 5:53 pm

5. I tried Narin’s viewer trying to figure out my rez problems and wow, the graphics on that were amazing. It ran fast and smooth. Haven’t tinkered with all the settings but looking at some of the pics people have made, it gives Unity a run for its money.

I’m finally ready to break out of my SL habits all the way.

If you come across any others that allow for content download like Imp, please pass the word.

Virtual Clover

4 May 12 at 6:41 pm

6. Virtual Clover

4 May 12 at 6:46 pm

7. I’m willing to try others… I’m downloading Nirans now :-D

Sunny

4 May 12 at 7:11 pm

8. Ohhh I didn’t like that, but found that Imprudence has a beta mesh version and it looks pretty darn cool!

Sunny

4 May 12 at 7:23 pm

9. Imprudence devs are concentrating on the Kokua viewer. There’s an experimental of Kokua available, but haven’t included it yet. http://wiki.kokuaviewer.org/wiki/Kokua:Experimental And I’ll add Niran’s, too.

Sarge Misfit